Contest Contacts - Rules and Regulations
GENERAL RULES AND REGULATIONS
1. Contestants must be ready to perform when called.They alone are responsible for not missing their turn.
2. No Contestant having won first prize in any one class for three consecutive years will be eligible to compete in that or any lower class in the fourth year.
3. Scheduling of all competitions and play-downs is dependant on the number of entries in each class. In the event of a play-down a 4th and 5th prize will be added to the appropriate class.
4. Judges’ decisions are final, and they will not be required to explain standing.
5. Contestants wishing to have their marks mailed, please ask at Registration Desk.
6. Contestants must show proof of age upon request.
7. Deadline for registration is one hour before class.
8. In the event of a tie, the contestants involved will be asked to perform again to break the tie.
9. In the event of an error by accompanist which throws the contestant off time, or any accident beyond the control of the contestant, he/she will be given a chance to repeat the routine.
10. The Ontario Open Fiddle and Step Dance Contest reserves the right to videotape and offer for sale any portion or all of the contest or program.
11. Dress and appearance will be considered.
12. Contestant will play in reverse order of registration.
13. Contestants in the Open Classes are excluded from eligibility in the 19+ class.
Fiddle Contest Rules
Step Dance Contest Rules
STEP DANCE CONTEST RULES
1. Contestants in the OPEN CLASS, and 18 and under must dance a CLOG, JIG and REEL in that order without stopping. If there are more than twelve contestants in the 18 and under the committee may ask that the contestants only perform a REEL. The finalists will be required to perform a CLOG, JIG and REEL in that order.
2. Contestants in the 9, 12, 15 and under 19-49 and 50+ must perform a REEL only.
3. Contestants may employ their ownaccompaniment or use those provided by the Contest (fiddle and piano).
4. Contestant may not give any signal to theiraccompanist during performance, signifying a request to change to a JIG or REEL. In sure event, points will be deducted.
5. Contestants may enter only one class.Exception: Group Classes, Duet, Gospel fiddle.
6. Points will be awarded on basis of: StepQuantity and Quality, as well as step timing and style over a three minute period of judged performance.
7. Group Classes: To be in groups of 2 to 6, overa four minute period of judged performance, with an additional of execution. A person may dance in one Group or Group Class only. Top three in the Open Group Class will perform Saturday Night. Scores for both performances will be combined to determine final placement.
Junior Groups will be judged in their entirety onSaturday Night. Average age of Junior Group must be twelve or under.
FEE: An entry fee of $10.00 per class if pre-Registered or $12 if registering at the Contest.
Open Group, Duet Class and Gospel Fiddleentry fee $2,00 per competitor. No entry fee for Contestants 12 and under.
WARM –UP ROOM: A tuned piano will beLocated upstairs in the Arena.
1. Contestants in all classes except 9 and underare required to play a WALTZ, JIG and a REEL (or breakdown) in that order or they will not bejudged. Contestants in the 9 and under class are required to play only ONE of a WALTZ, JIG or a REEL.
If there are more than twelve contestants in the12, 15 or 18 and under classes the committee may ask that the contestants play a WALTZ, and either a JIG or REEL for the preliminaries. Finalists will be required to play ALL THREE.
2. Only one instrument may accompany, and itmay NOT play the melody.
3. A tuned piano is on stage and an appointedAccompanist will be available.
4. Contestants may only compete in one class –their own age group or the OPEN. Exemptions Duet and Gospel classes.
5. Points will be awarded on the basis of: Timing,Versatility and level of Difficulty over a four minute period of judged performances. Tunes must be accepted Old Tyme Type.
6. In the Open Class, if a contestant goes on to thefinal playdown, three different tunes must be played from those played in the preliminaries.
7. DUET CLASS: Open to all contestants. Anycombination of two fiddlers, no age limit. Must play In harmony a WALTZ, JIG and TUNE OF CHOICE In that order. Top three will play again Saturday night. Scores from both performances will be combined to determine the final placing.
OVER $8,500 IN PRIZE MONEY!
Class 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
65+ 100 75 50
50-64 100 75 50
19-49 100 75 50
18 & under 200 150 75
15 & under 100 75 50
12 & under 100 75 50
9 & under 75 55 45 35 25 20 18 16
ADDITIONAL FIDDLE PRIZES
Youngest Competing Fiddler $50
Oldest Competing Fiddler $25
Local Competing Fiddler with Highest Points $25
(Open to residents of Bobcaygeon, Fenelon Falls and
Twps. of Verulam, Harvey and Sommerville.
*Excludes contestants in Open Competition)
ADDITIONAL STEP DANCE PRIZES
Youngest Competing Dancer $50
ADVANCE TICKET BUYERS ELIGIBLE FOR $50 DRAW
Send mail to
questions or comments about this web site.